Boating Accident Lawyer Fort Walton Beach
Boats are supposed to be fun and offer people an opportunity to enjoy a relaxing and fulfilling activity, particularly in places like Fort Walton Beach or the South Florida area. However, not all trips have a happy ending, and a large portion of water enthusiasts suffer boating accidents every year. There are many reasons why people may be involved in a boating accident; among them:
- Careless operation of the vessel
- Being intoxicated while boating
- Failing to address boat maintenance issues
- Mechanical failure
- Operator inexperience
- Failure to obey the rules placed by federal and state laws for safe boating
- Insufficient safety equipment on board the boat
The consequences for victims of boating accidents can be severe and long-lasting. You need the assistance of an experienced boat accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach from the offices of Fasig | Brooks. We can help you negotiate a settlement with the responsible party or the insurance company or pursue your claim in court. Set up an initial consultation to tell us about your case and get advice on the legal options available to you.
Main Maritime Injuries
Being in a boating accident is no joking matter. Victims can suffer injuries as severe as:
- Accidental amputation
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones
- Damage to internal organs
- Internal bleeding
- Wrongful death
Boating accidents can happen for a wide variety of reasons. In many cases, the boat captain has been drinking, forgetting the fact that just as they should when behind the wheel of any other type of vehicle, the same laws apply to them while on a boat. Nobody should drive a boat while impaired due to consumption of alcohol or any other controlled substance. Also, like with cars, boat operators should not drive their vessels if they lack the skills or experience to do so. As skippers of their vessels, boat owners should insist that all passengers be sitting while the boat is moving.
Boating accident injuries frequently need hospitalization, may call for surgeries, and require long-term care for those who sustain them. It is almost impossible for someone dealing with such life-altering injuries to find the time to file a claim against whoever was negligent and caused their injuries. Let an expert boating accident attorney in Fort Walton Beach from Fasig | Brooks take care of the legal aspects of your case so that you can spend your energy focusing on recovering your health.
There are serious financial consequences associated with a boating accident. Your Fasig | Brooks lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation into the incident, get reports from the Coast Guard or from any other law enforcement agency that might have been present at the scene, interview any witnesses to get their testimonies, analyze your medical records, and build a strong case on your behalf. Call us today to let us hear about your story and start working on your defense.
Boating Safety Tips in Fort Walton Beach, FL
Although not every single boating accident can be prevented, there are some actions you and your passengers can take to help every activity on the boat fun and safe for all. Here are just some ideas:
- If it is your responsibility to operate the boat, make it a point to complete a boating education course. If needed, take a course every couple of years to make sure you can safely maneuver the vessel.
- Make it a habit to check local weather conditions before going out on the water. It is better to disappoint your friends and postpone the outing for the following weekend than to insist on going out in hazardous weather and risk being in an accident.
- Maintenance is important, so make sure to have the boat maintained as it should be and that all safety issues are addressed on time.
- Use a life jacket and insist that all your guests do so as well. Statistics show that the vast majority of drowning victims were not wearing a life jacket.
Summer is here, and the time to start enjoying the water is here. Make an effort to have an enjoyable and safe time.
Life Jacket Safety Tips
Knowing that life jackets are lifesavers, here are some tips on their use:
- Everyone should wear a life jacket when on the water. Pay special attention to children and make sure theirs fit well based on their weight and height.
- Do not use a life jacket that is leaky or waterlogged. Instead of helping, they may actually contribute to people drowning.
- Buy life jackets that are approved by the Coast Guard.
Injuries on boats due to negligence call for an experienced boating accident lawyer in Fort Walton Beach. Call Fasig | Brooks today and tell us what happened. We will fight to get you the compensation you need to cover your medical bills, therapies, and any extended care you might need. If you have not been able to go back to work since the accident and are suffering financially to cover your living and medical expenses, let us start on your defense right away.
Get Help from an Experienced Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Walton Beach
After being in a boating accident in Fort Walton Beach, FL, you have the burden of proving that the other party was negligent or failed when it came to living up to some obligation towards you. You and your lawyer will have to prove that this negligence or breach of duty was directly responsible for the accident. You will also have to document your injuries and show how bad they were. Your boating accident attorney in Fort Walton Beach will help you by interviewing any witnesses, obtaining information from the Coast Guard or any law enforcement report, providing expert witnesses when needed, and helping build a strong case on your behalf.
Trying to accomplish all the needed steps to help your case move forward without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney will likely not yield the results you seek. Don’t try to tackle this complicated situation on your own. Reach out to a Fasig | Brooks boating attorney right now. Time could be running out to file your claim. Get started today.