Boating accidents can be devastating, often resulting in serious injuries and fatalities. If you or a loved one were injured on any vessel, you might be entitled to financial compensation from the liable parties. However, insurance companies may try to minimize your damages or deny your claim outright. That’s why you need a Miramar Beach boating accident lawyer.
After a serious accident, it’s best to seek legal representation from an attorney with experience in similar cases. One of our Miramar Beach personal injury lawyers who handles boating incidents could help you navigate the legal system and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Fasig | Brooks today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Recoverable Damages After a Miramar Beach Boating Accident
A boating accident can change your life in profound ways. Our boating accident lawyers serving Miramar Beach have successfully handled a wide range of cases involving serious injuries and financial consequences.
Common damage categories in these cases include the following:
- Medical care (past and future)
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological injuries
- Prescription medication
- Lost income
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Loss of earning capacity
A court may award punitive damages in cases involving extreme negligence or intentional acts. A member of our Miramar Beach team will leave no stone unturned when investigating your accident and exploring compensation opportunities.
Common Causes of Miramar Beach Boating Accidents
Boating is a popular pastime for many Miramar Beach residents and visitors. Unfortunately, accidents happen frequently, many of which result from carelessness or inexperience.
The following are some of the most common causes of boating accidents in Florida:
- Operator error. Devastating mistakes can occur for many reasons, including inexperienced or distracted boat operators.
- Drunk boating: Many boat accidents are caused by an operator who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Mechanical failure: The vessel’s manufacturer can be responsible when a defective part causes an accident.
- Improper maintenance. Boats must be properly cared for to avoid accidents.
- Insufficient safety equipment: Some accidents happen because a boat or other vessel doesn’t have the necessary safety equipment.
If you think someone else caused your boating accident, a qualified attorney can answer your questions and go over your legal options.
Boating Accidents We Handle
Boating accidents are unfortunately common, and many types of vessels can be involved. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, more than 4,000 boating accidents occur in our nation annually.
Here are some examples of common boating incidents:
- Watercraft collisions, including jet ski accidents
- Rafting incidents
- Accidents due to flooding or sinking
- Falling overboard
- Fires or explosions
- Slip-and-fall incidents
Florida has an extensive coastline and many inland waterways, with all kinds of vessels considered boats under the law. Even if your accident does not appear on the above list, you may have the right to seek damages.
Common Boating Injuries
Many types of boating accidents occur on Florida’s waterways each year. Some of the most common injuries accident victims sustain include the following:
- Head trauma. A boating accident can lead to severe head trauma, leading to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) due to falls, collisions, or being struck by an object on the boat.
- Cuts and bruises: Contact with hard surfaces or sharp objects in the boat can cause deep lacerations and bruises.
- Broken bones: The force of impact from a boating collision can cause fractures and breaks in various body parts.
- Spinal cord Injuries: Falls or high-speed collisions can damage the spinal cord, causing complete or partial paralysis.
- Drowning: When a boat capsizes or someone is thrown overboard, they may experience injuries due to prolonged submersion, including drowning (or near-drowning) accidents.
- Emotional injuries: A serious accident can cause psychological distress, such as anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Please note that seeking immediate medical attention and legal counsel after a boat accident is important for properly treating your injuries and pursuing compensation.
Why You May Need a Miramar Beach Boating Accident Lawyer
While anyone can file a personal injury claim or lawsuit after a Florida boating incident, there are many benefits to hiring one of our attorneys.
We support Miramar Beach boating accident victims by:
- Investigating the incident: Our Miramar Beach boat accident law firm conducts its own investigations to gather evidence to support your claim. Due to our resources and legal experience, we can locate hard-to-obtain documentation, like maintenance records or weather alerts for the accident date.
- Interviewing witnesses: Our legal team can also speak with witnesses and get a recorded statement to corroborate your version of the events. We can also help you locate accident reconstruction specialists and experts in many other fields to act as expert witnesses in your case.
- Represent your best interests. Our attorneys can help you file an insurance claim, negotiate a financial settlement with the insurance company or at-fault party, and represent you in court if necessary.
Statute of Limitations for Florida Personal Injury Cases
If an agreement cannot be reached, your lawyer can fight for you in court. Florida’s Statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is two years.
While that may seem like a long time, you should talk to a qualified attorney from Fasig | Brooks as soon as possible after a boating accident since the circumstances of the incident can alter the deadline.
Contact a Miramar Beach Boating Accident Lawyer Today
The aftermath of a boating accident can be painful and expensive. Fortunately, if your injuries resulted from someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensatory damages from those responsible or their insurance company.
At Fasig | Brooks, our boat accident attorneys have a proven track record of success and are ready to build a strong case for the compensation you are rightfully owed. Get in touch with us to arrange a case evaluation with a boat accident lawyer who can explain your options.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.