Rear-end collisions happen nationwide, and an experienced attorney can help the victims recover damages. That can be convenient since these crashes can bring catastrophic injuries, medical bills, property damages, and emotional consequences for the victims and their families.
However, filing a claim for a rear-end collision can also represent dealing with the drivers at fault, their insurance companies and adjusters, and getting familiar with the Law. Because of that, many victims choose to hire a Destin & Miramar Beach rear-end collision lawyer from Fasig | Brooks, which can help them file a legal claim while they take time to recover from injuries.
What to Do If You’re Involved in a Rear-End Collision in Destin & Miramar Beach
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reports thousands of accidents each year. Many of these are rear-end collisions that can cause damage to your property, injuries, and mental health problems. That’s why it is important to note victims are entitled to pursue compensation.
Filing a claim for damages can be complex, but there are some actions the victims can take to heal their wounds and demand compensation. If you are involved in a rear-end collision, it is important to take the following steps:
- Check for injuries. One of the most important actions is ensuring you and your passengers are free from injury and calling 911 if anyone needs medical attention.
- Put yourself to safety. If the rear-end crash happens in the middle of the road, move to a safer location to avoid other drivers.
- Call the authorities. Police officers who attend your accident must file a report; an experienced rear-end accident attorney can use those reports in court.
- Gather information. Exchange numbers with other drivers involved, and take pictures with your phone showing the accident, the vehicles involved, and your injuries.
- Get medical attention. Medical attention is important to taking care of your injuries and proving their impact on your life.
Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer in Destin & Miramar Beach
If you were hit from behind in Destin, Miramar Beach, and Fort Walton Beach and someone else is at fault, you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim. While everyone can file a claim with an insurance provider or legal claim, an experienced attorney has done it many times. That can be helpful since filing a claim can be a complicated and frustrating process.
A Destin & Miramar Beach rear-end accident attorney can give you legal advice, but they can also conduct a private investigation of your case and gather new evidence to support your claim. In addition, our firm provides services to victims of rear-end collisions: professional legal advice, negotiation with insurance companies, and court representation.
How Much Is My Rear-End Collision Claim Worth?
Every accident is different, and the consequences for a victim’s life can be devastating. However, there is no simple way to put a number on it. A car accident attorney needs to study your accident so they can help you determine an exact amount you can get in an economic agreement or court.
Fasig | Brooks rear-end collision attorneys in Destin and Miramar Beach and Fort Walton Beach have a track record for recovering damages related to:
- Medical expenses. The medical attention a rear-end car accident requires can be extremely expensive since it includes ambulance rides, hospital bills, surgeries, and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages. Victims of car accidents may need days off work to take care of their injuries, and many of them may lose their jobs or get forced to switch careers.
- Property damage. Many vehicles get damaged in rear-end car accidents, but victims can also experience other property damages.
- Psychological consequences. Therapy for conditions such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD is expensive and can take years to make an effect.
Can I Get Punititive Damages in a Rear-End Collision?
Punitive damages are granted when the at-fault party’s negligence was excessive or when the rear-end collision was intentional. However, this is a consideration that only a judge or jury can decide, and it doesn’t depend on your attorney.
However, an experienced Destin & Miramar Beach rear-end car accident attorney can look at your case and let you know which other type of compensation you can pursue, which can be economic damages, such as medical bills and damage to property. And non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
Common Injuries from Rear-End Collisions
Our law firm attends to accident victims constantly, and our lawyers have seen many injuries. Even accidents at low speed can cause injuries such as whiplash, a common accident when someone’s head moves violently due to a rear-end hit.
Different back injuries also exist in rear-end collisions. For instance, herniated discs or spinal cord damage—can lead to temporary or permanent disability. These injuries can be painful but expensive since treatment requires highly specialized surgeons.
Statute of Limitations for Rear-End Collisions in Florida
Time is crucial when it comes to legal action. That is mainly because of the Florida Statute of limitations, which gives up to four years for the victims to pursue compensation. However, when a rear-end collision leads to a wrongful death, this time frame gets reduced by half. Your attorney can determine how much time you have left in your particular case.
Other factors can also cut the time you have left to pursue damages, and these periods are final. So losing the date can also mean losing your right to claim compensation or to get a financial settlement. Talking to your Destin and Miramar Beach rear-end lawyer is important because they can help you get an extension if your time is about to expire.
Contact a Destin & Miramar Beach Rear-End Collision Attorney
A car accident can be a difficult event in a person’s life, And rear-end collisions can produce serious injuries. Many injuries can lead to major health problems and long rehabilitation treatments. And all of that usually comes with expensive bills.The driver that caused your rear-end accident should also grant compensation for the damage they caused, and an attorney can help you to make that happen. Contact Fasig | Brooks, talk to our rear-end attorneys in Destin, Miramar Beach, or Fort Walton Beach, and get clarity about your next legal steps.