You may need a Florida scooter accident attorney if you are injured. Filing a legal claim to pursue damages can be the best way to recover compensation for your losses, but there are many aspects to consider before taking legal action.
A scooter accident can cause severe injuries and bring expensive and unexpected medical bills for the victims. But suppose someone else’s negligence caused the accident. In that case, a Florida personal injury attorney will help you determine liability, build a strong case to negotiate with insurance companies, and even represent you in court.
What to Do After a Florida Scooter Accident to Pursue Damages?
Most accident scooters in Florida are the result of someone’s negligence. In those cases, victims are entitled to pursue compensation for damages, but some actions taken at the accident site can compromise those rights. These are some of our lawyer’s recommendations after a scooter accident:
- Call emergency services. Calling 911 is the best way to attend to any injuries, but it also leaves a record of the accident. Besides, police officers and EMTs attending the call should file a report that your lawyer can later use to prove your case.
- Take pictures or videos of the accident. If you can move around after the accident, you can take pictures and videos using your cell phone. Try to take your injuries, your scooter, the liable party’s vehicle, and any other relevant information.
- Avoid insurance adjusters. An insurance adjuster may appear at the scene and ask for your official statement of the accident. However, it is better to kindly refuse and send them to your lawyer. Insurance adjusters can edit and use your words against you to diminish or deny your claim.
- Talk to a scooter attorney. The best way to protect yourself and your right to claim damages is to call your attorney when the accident happens. They can help you determine your best next steps and protect you from dubious insurance adjusters.
Scooter Accident Attorneys and Florida Statute of Limitations
Your Florida attorney can build a strong case for you, and they can also help you determine how long you have left to file a claim. According to the Florida Statute of limitations, scooter accident victims have up to two years to file a claim. But some circumstances can shorten this period.
It may be in your best interest to talk to your lawyer way sooner than that because there are many things your lawyer can do, such as pursuing a financial settlement from the liable party so you don’t have to go to court. But to do that, your legal representatives will need time to investigate, find evidence and present a solid case.
Common Injuries in Scooter Accidents in Florida
Scooters are becoming increasingly popular in Florida in recent years. Unfortunately, that leads to a rising number of scooter accidents and injuries. These are some of the most common injuries present in the cases our lawyers attend:
- Bruises and contusions
- Bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Black eyes
- Cuts and scrapes
- Internal bleeding
- Ruptured spleens
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
Damages Your Scooter Accident Lawyers in Florida Can Help You Recover
Scooter accidents can cause different types of damage to the victims. However, the most common damages in a claim are divided into two categories:
Economic damages are losses with monetary value and can be determined by summing up your medical bills, the cost of your scooter repair or replacement, work receipts, and other documents that prove your expenses. Economic damages usually include medical bills, rehabilitation therapy, property damage, and lost wages.
Non-economic damages, on the other hand, cannot be easily translated into dollars but can affect a victim’s life. Therefore, to calculate an appropriate amount, your attorney must evaluate your non-economic damages’ impact.
Some of the most common non-economic damages are loss of consortium, pain and suffering. loss of companionship, emotional distress, and loss of your life’s enjoyment. A Fasig | Brooks’ attorney in Florida can evaluate your case to determine which damages you are entitled to. But they can also help you determine how long you must file a claim.
What Can a Scooter Accident Attorney in Florida Do for Your Case?
There are several good reasons to talk to an attorney as soon as possible after a scooter accident in Florida. First, an experienced law professional can help you build a strong case to recover damages. But a renowned law firm can do many more things for you.
- Determining liability. To file a claim for damages, it is necessary to determine who is at fault for the accident. That is one of the most important steps because sometimes, many parties share responsibility for a scooter accident.
- Investigating the accident. After determining who is liable, your lawyer needs evidence to prove it. That’s why our scooter accident attorneys can visit the accident site, interview witnesses, and even get CCTV footage from nearby traffic or vigilance cameras.
- Calculate damages. Calculating the right compensation amount may be difficult, particularly for non-economic damages. But an experienced attorney can analyze your claim to determine a fair settlement or compensation.
- Represent you in court. In most cases, scooter accident claims can be solved through an insurance negotiation. However, your Florida scooter accident attorneys are ready to represent you in court if the liable party doesn’t want to settle.
Talk to a Florida Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a scooter accident, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for all your damages. But it is important to act quickly. Remember, the statute of limitations is running, and there are many steps to take before filing a claim.
Florida law can be complicated, particularly for someone dealing with injuries and expensive medical bills. But a Fasig Brooks lawyer can take care of every aspect of your case while you take time to recover from injuries at home. Contact our Florida offices today and schedule a free consultation.