Talking to a dog bite attorney in Florida may be your best shot at recovering damages after an animal attack. Dog bites can cause severe injuries, particularly when the victim is an elderly citizen or a child. But the victims may be entitled to pursue damages from the dog owner or their insurance.
While most dogs are friendly, sometimes an owner’s negligence or lack of care can cause their pet to suddenly attack someone. In those cases, the owner is also liable for damages caused by their dog. But if you were hurt, you may need a Fasig | Brooks attorney to build a strong case and negotiate a financial settlement.
What to Do After a Dog Bite Accident to Pursue Damages?
Being the victim of a dog attack can have severe consequences on a person’s life, and in most cases, victims are entitled to pursue compensation. However, in many circumstances, victims can lose their right to file a claim with certain actions. So here are some recommendations from our Florida personal attorneys to protect your well-being and legal rights
- Call emergency services. Calling 911 can help you get the appropriate medical attention for your bite injury. But police officers attending the call will also file a police report, and your lawyer can use those documents to support your case.
- Exchange contact information. You should exchange contact information with the dog owner and any eyewitnesses if possible. That information is important because your lawyer can contact and interview witnesses and send citations to the dog owners.
- Contact a Florida dog accident lawyer immediately. Your attorney can help you investigate the accident, but it is important to do it quickly because evidence vanishes with time. Your attorney can also get veterinary records for the dog and CCTV footage from nearby security cameras.
Damages Your Dog Bite Attorney Can Recover in Florida
Injuries from an animal attack can range from cuts and bruises to catastrophic injuries. However, every accident is different, and you should consult your attorney to determine which damages you can get for your injuries.
Under some extreme circumstances, a jury or judge can award the victims with punitive damages. But for that, your case needs to get to a trial, and only a judge or jury can decide, so there is no way to determine the amount. Still, your attorney can calculate and help you pursue economic and noneconomic damages.
Economic Damages of an Animal Attack
Economic damages are everything a victim loses during the accident that has proof of purchase or can be translated into dollars. Some of the most common economic damages we recover for our dog bite clients are medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and property damage, among many others.
Noneconomic Damages After a Dog Bite
This category of damages covers losses that cannot be easily translated into dollars. Noneconomic damages cover intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, loss of consortia, or psychological injuries, such as developing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) anxiety or depression.
Your animal attack lawyer can look at your case and help you evaluate the damages you can recover. They can also calculate an appropriate amount for economic and non-economic damages.
Statute of Limitations or Deadline for a Dog Bite Injury
You should look for the support of an experienced dog bite lawyer for many reasons, but one of the most important ones is the Florida statute of limitations. The time limit to present a dog bite claim is generally two years. However, some key elements can modify and shorten this period. And losing the date can compromise your right to pursue damages for good.
But talking to your Florida lawyer can represent more benefits. For instance, an attorney can evaluate your case and negotiate a financial agreement with the dog owner; that way, you do not have to spend months or even years in a legal battle. But to avoid the Florida courtroom, your attorney needs enough time.
Common Injuries in Dog Bite Accidents in Florida
A dog bite can cause injuries that affect a person’s well-being and finances. These are some of the most common injuries in the cases our attorneys handle:
- Puncture wounds. Dog fangs can cause severe puncture wounds in a victim, breaking the skin and exposing them to the risk of infection.
- Lacerations. A dog bite can cause deep cuts and lacerations requiring stitches or surgical intervention.
- Contusions and bruises. An animal attack can leave bruises and contusions on the victim’s body.
- Fractures. Some dogs are big and powerful and can cause a fracture, generally in fingers, or cause the victim to fall and break an ankle or leg bone.
- Infections. When dog bites are not immediately taken care of, victims can get an infection that can cause severe conditions.
- Psychological injuries. Victims of dog attacks often develop post-traumatic stress disorder after an animal attack, but they can also develop anxiety or depression.
Remember, every dog attack is different, and the severity of your injuries can vary widely. But if a dog injured you or a loved one, you should seek medical attention and legal counseling to come back stronger.
Reasons to Hire a Dog Bite Attorney After an Attack in Florida
Dog bites can be legally complicated since your attorney needs to investigate and determine liability. However, there are many other things a renowned law firm, such as Fasig | Brooks, can do for you.
Your personal injury lawyer can help you investigate the accident. Let’s say. For instance, the dog has already attacked someone; in those cases, your attorney can interview witnesses and record their statements to prove your case.
But one of the most important things about hiring an attorney is they can deal with the liable parties and handle your legal claim while you recover from your injuries at home. Our dog bite lawyers can also offer a free consultation where we can answer all your questions before filing your claim.
A Florida Dog Bite Lawyer Can Help You Recover Damages
If you were the victim of an animal attack and want to pursue the dog owner for damages, a Fasig | Brooks law expert can help. We can answer all your legal questions and develop a strategy to recover the maximum amount of damages possible, so you can recover from injuries and move on with your life.
Our attorneys are ready to hear your story and explain your legal situation in a strategic consultation free of charge. Contact us today and schedule an appointment with an experienced dog bite attorney that can guide you through the claim process and recover the compensatory damages you deserve.