If you live in Florida, you know that there are many motorcycle riders on the road. What you may not realize, however, is that motorcycle riders are at a very disproportionate risk of injury and death compared to those riding in cars. There are some very alarming statistics out there that bear this out.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics In Florida
The following is a short list of some statistics about motorcycle accidents in Florida:
- In 2013, there were 462 fatalities of motorcycle operators and passengers in Florida.
- Motorcycle crashes represented only 3.1% of all motor vehicle accidents but were responsible for 19.1% of all motor vehicle accident fatalities in 2013.
- 7% of motorcycle operators were observed to wear helmets in Florida in 2013.
- Alcohol consumption increases the crash risk for motorcyclists by five times.
- 37% of all fatal motorcycle crashes in Florida in 2009 involved alcohol.
In short, riding a motorcycle is clearly more dangerous than riding in a car and alcohol and motorcycles do not mix.
Why Are There So Many Motorcycle Accidents?
There are many reasons why motorcycles are more likely to be involved in fatal crashes. Among them are:
- Inexperience of the rider and/or the passenger.
- Failure to be seen by other motorists.
- The fact that adverse weather conditions and adverse road conditions impact motorcyclists more acutely.
- Impairment from alcohol has been shown to impact functions that ensure safe operation for motorcyclists (such as balance, speed control and hazard recognition).
- Motorcycles lack key safety equipment available in regular motor vehicles such as safety belts and air bags.
- Small errors on a motorcycle can often lead to catastrophic results while they would only lead to a fender bender in a regular motor vehicle.
With all this being said, what do you do if a loved one is involved in a fatal motorcycle accident?
Right Of Recovery In a Fatal Motorcycle Accident
Even with all of the disturbing statistics referenced above, riding a motorcycle in Florida is just as legal as driving a car. You should not have to fear for your life every time you saddle up. However, if things do go wrong, you or your loved ones have the same right to recovery that your car driving friends have.
Florida gives you the ability to recover damages in you have been injured by someone else’s negligence. Florida follows the doctrine of pure comparative negligence. This means that unless you are 100% at fault for an accident, you still have an opportunity to recover. If, for example, it is determined that your damages are $100,000 and you are found to be 10% at fault and the other party is 90% at fault, your award would be $90,000. However, it must be said that as your percentage of fault increases, it is harder to obtain a favorable verdict. In most cases, though, the surest way of preserving your rights and obtaining what you seek is by being represented by a skilled and experienced personal injury attorney.
The professionals at the Tallahassee firm of Fasig & Brooks have decades of experience ensuring that those involved in motorcycle accidents get the results they deserve. We know the ins and outs that insurance attorneys use to try and get their clients out of being held accountable. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, give us a call today at either (850) 222-3232 to set up your initial consultation today. Riding a motorcycle is not a crime and your rights deserve to be protected.