A car accident lawyer can help victims of rear-end collisions, which often present injuries and other damages after an accident. However, filing a claim represents gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and building a solid case to negotiate with insurance companies or to present in a Florida court.
But an experienced Tallahassee car accident lawyer can take care of the administrative and legal burden, so victims can take all the time they need to recover. Fasig | Brooks can help you pursue damages if you or a loved one were injured in a rear-end accident caused by someone else’s negligence. But talking to our car accident attorneys first is crucial.
What to Do After a Rear-End Collision
There are some actions a victim of a rear-end collision can take to protect their health and their right from claiming damages according to our Tallahassee personal injury lawyers. Some of those are.
- Call 911. Emergency services can help you and other injured victims at the accident site. But calling 911 also leaves a police or medical record, which can become important evidence for your case.
- Gather evidence. Rear-end collisions can be confusing, but taking photos or videos with your cell phone is the best way to ensure the liable party won’t make up a story to make you look guilty.
- Talk to your lawyer. Your rear-end collision attorney can help you negotiate with insurance companies, protect your right to claim damages and represent you in a Florida court if necessary.
- Avoid insurance adjusters. Insurance adjusters are looking for ways to save money for the company. And sometimes, they will use a victim’s word against them to argue they are liable and cut the compensation as short as they can.
- Do not post your accident on social media. Insurance companies can use social media posts where you look fine and happy to argue your injuries are not that severe and deny your claim.
Your Tallahassee rear-end car accident lawyer can suggest what to do to protect your right to file a claim and prevent insurance companies from taking advantage of your difficult situation.
Injuries Caused by a Rear-End Collision in Tallahassee
Rear-end collision accidents can cause different injuries, depending on the size and weight of the vehicle, but also the speed at which the accident happened. During our practice, our attorneys have attended hundreds of rear-end collision cases, and the most common injuries are:
- Traumatic brain injury. A Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is one of the most severe injuries that arise from a rear-end collision.
- Spinal cord injury. Many rear-end collision victims end up facing temporary or permanent disability as a consequence of a spinal cord injury.
- Internal damage. Internal organs such as lungs, kidneys, and liver are costly and common in car accidents.
- Neck injuries. Neck injuries, such as whiplash, can cause pain and soreness and affect a person’s life in many ways.
- Broken bones. When a car hits you from behind, the bones in your hands and legs can undergo tremendous stress and end up fracturing.
- Emotional injuries. Some victims develop Post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, or anxiety due to a car crash.
However, you may be entitled to damages even if your injury is not on the list. But talking to a Tallahassee rear-end collision lawyer is the best way to be sure.
What Damages Can I Obtain After a Rear-End Collision?
Every accident is different, but some injuries are more common in Tallahassee rear-end accidents. Therefore, the type and amount of damages a victim can claim are also different. Victims can be entitled to economic, non-economic, and even punitive damages. However, punitive damages depend entirely on a jury or judge’s decision.
But economic and non-economic damages can cover most of a victim’s losses. And more importantly, it can help them recover from what the accident took away from them and offer them the possibility of rebuilding their previous life. A Tallahassee rear-end collision attorney from Fasig | Brooks can explain which damages you are entitled to.
How Much Are Economic Damages Worth?
Economic damages after a rear-end accident in Tallahassee are meant to repay the victims for all the damages and losses tied to a price tag or a bill in dollars. That usually means:
- Emergency services
- Property damage
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Lost wages
An experienced Tallahassee rear-end attorney will collect all your bills and receipts and sum them up to a number that repays every dollar the accident cost you. Economic damages can also cover future medical and rehabilitation expenses.
Can I Get Non-Economic Damages?
In most cases, the answer is yes, but it is necessary to talk to your Tallahassee car accident attorney first. That is because non-economic damages are meant to cover losses that don’t have a dollar value but can affect a victim’s life, such as loss of your life’s enjoyment, the pain and suffering you experienced during the accident, and future emotional consequences, such as depression or PTSD.
However, insurance companies often ignore them since they can be massive and are not easy to calculate. That’s why hiring a rear-end accident attorney before filing a claim is important. They can calculate your non-economic damages accurately and defend your rights throughout your claim.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Rear-End Collision in Tallahassee?
Tallahassee operates under Florida law. Therefore, Victims of these accidents have four years to file a claim after the accident. It is important to remember that date because pursuing damages after that period expires is virtually impossible.
It is also worth noting that some circumstances can affect that period. For example, if a government official was involved in the crash or wrongful death during the accident, the time frame gets reduced to two years. A Tallahassee rear-end collision attorney can use legal tools to help you get an extension, but they need to closely examine your case first.
Local Tallahassee Rear-End Collision Attorneys
A rear-end collision attorney can help you determine liability, calculate damages, and defend you in court. But an experienced law firm can also help you find the answers you need after a car accident. Most rear-end accidents occur because of someone else’s negligence or lack of care. Those liable parties should also cover all the victims’ damages and expenses. If you were injured in a car accident in Tallahassee, contact a Fasig | Brooks rear-end attorney to help you file a claim and recover the damages you deserve.